Sunday, July 19, 2015

Reading Response: Week 3

In reading Chapters 7 & 8 I found a lot of the information very useful for starting to draft my email to the person or organization of my choice. I thought that how it explained creating content for social media required not only concise and specific information, it is also important to promote indirectly and write to your directed audience. In reading about how to write an email- it is very important to use effective subject lines, be informative and direct, double check and also be professional. These tools will help aid in the process of reaching out to people for the interview, and also in my professional life. I thought reading about the business blogs was also interesting because we use blogs in this class, and to see how different students blogs are set up in different ways and convey different messages really allowed me to see how vast and unique each blog can be.

The requests in Chapter 8 were also very useful to read about because as a student you have a variety of things that you want to request from teachers or students. It is important to pay attention to your tone, be specific, as relevant questions and assume that the audience will comply with you.

The last reading on Rhetoric expressed more about how Rhetoric emphasizes saying the right thing at the right time. Having that "Identity Kit" is also useful because it allows you to know how to communicate with people of different communities. I thought it was important how it stated that it's important to have identity in your writing while adapting to the change of your audience. Once again tone and voice are very important and your writing should be clear and useful to others.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Robin,

    As the saying goes, "It's not what you say it's how you say it." Well I think that you are spot on in your take of this weeks reading of Understanding Rhetoric. Being aware of our audience is super helpful in identifying what identity to bring. I think your Chapter 8 response is great and exactly what should be gained from that section of reading. I like " Assuming the audience will comply with you." That is such a powerful thinking !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Robin,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog. I felt like you were very clear in your writing and I was not confused about any of it, the text was well written and I was not confused about anything. I liked how you incorporated key points into your writing from the text. Something that I picked up on while reading your post is that you create a sense of identity in your own writing, creating identity is something that a lot of authors struggle with, myself included. I also picked-up from the readings quite a few of the same key points that you mentioned. For example it is important to use effective subject lines, be informative and direct, and most importantly make sure to double check you work. Overall I really enjoyed reading your take of the assigned readings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin,

    Great to hear how family-oriented you are. ☺ I wear my “heart cards” pretty close to my vest, and one of my favorite mantras is: family are friends, and friends are family. Sometimes that gets me into trouble, but usually it works out.

    It seems like you dug the graphic textbook. I’m glad; I love that thing. Ethos, pathos, and logos are the three main “rhetorical appeals” we can make as writers/communicators. A lot of students use it as the basis for their final projects, so if you find this interesting, feel free to run with it. (I’d encourage you to find something else that’s a little more outside-the-box, but it’s your call.)

    You really nailed the “greatest hits” of the chapters: “use effective subject lines, be informative and direct, double check and also be professional.” Perfect.

    Great start, Robin. Please don’t forget to post your professional email request draft too when you can.

    Z

    ReplyDelete